Thursday 29 September 2011

Fan input: favourite players

Part two of three.

As is quite obvious now, I’m always interested in what other fans have to say – whether that be my fellow Bees, or supporters of League 2 in general. After completing my own All-Time Bees XI, and then hearing who my fellow supporters would include in their own top 10s, I decided upon finding out the most popular players from times gone by.

For some, there is a possible overlap between this and my last post, as understandably favourite players could be those who do well. But for me, this isn’t the case – there are many other reasons I’d consider a player to my favourite. Whether it be the effort they put in on match day (even if it is to no avail), or the way they endear themselves to the fans, I could probably rattle a list of at least 50 players from my time going to Underhill that I could consider a ‘favourite’.  In fact, I found it difficult just narrowing it down to the 10, and may even do a further piece on my personal favourite 20 or so!

The response to my last post was massive and when asking Barnet fans of their all time favourite 10 players, I wasn’t disappointed – the shortlist contained well over 100 names (four pages of A4, in fact!).

So, according to my fellow Barnet fans, the most popular ever 20 players to play for the club are:

1          Gary Phillips
2          Giuliano Grazioli
=          Liam Hatch
4          Albert Adomah
=          Dougie Freedman
=          Lee Harrison
=          Linvoy Primus
8          Nicky Bailey
=          Andy Clarke
=          Ian Hendon
11        Gary Bull
=          Darren Currie
=          Simon King
=          Scott McGleish
=          Izale McLeod
=          Jason Puncheon
=          Sam Stockley
=          Paul Wilson
=          Ismail Yakubu
20        Ben Strevens


Part three will continue tomorrow, and will see both ‘favourite’ and ‘best’ players combined, to see who is the ‘greatest ever’ Barnet player.

I’d like to also say a massive thank you to everyone that helped me out with both posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment