Wednesday, 13 February 2013

League Two round-up: 12/02/13

Last night saw six games in League Two with teams still playing catch-up due to previous, mostly weather-induced postponements.
Rotherham moved back into the playoff places following their away win at Torquay. On the flip side, the Gulls continue their slump and sit in 18th after a third successive defeat. After a goalless first half at Plainmoor the match immediately sprang to life in the second half – Lee Frecklington’s long-range effort wasn’t properly dealt with by the Gulls’ keeper and put the Millers in front with only a minute on the clock. The visitors doubled their lead before the hour mark when Alex Revell latched on to a through-ball and slotted home. Torquay pulled a goal back through Billy Bodin’s penalty but Rotherham restored their two-goal cushion when, in added time, Kayode Odejayi netted. It was Torquay’s fourth game without manager Martin Ling and the club issued a statement today explaining he has been undergoing treatment for a debilitating illness and will be away for a few more weeks – a search is on to find someone to assist current deputy Shaun Taylor.
Elsewhere, Bradford won their first league game in seven as they ran rampant against a recently resurgent Wycombe side. The League Cup finalists were quick off the mark as Nathan Doyle’s half-volley found the net in the game’s opening 50 seconds. Two goals in as many minutes late on handed Bantams the victory. First, Will Atkinson doubled their advantage, before Doyle bagged his second – this time from the penalty spot. Wanderers drop to 13th while Bradford move up to 10th.
Aldershot remain in the dropzone, though a win could have seen them move up to 20th. Hosts Morecambe were gifted their first goal when Oliver Risser headed past his own keeper in the 72th minute. Gary McDonald netted late on to double the Shrimps’ lead when he was quickest to pounce on Ryan Williams’ attempt which was blocked. The Shots pulled one back through Danny Hylton but his stoppage time strike wasn’t enough. A win for the hosts sees them in the top half of the table.
Last night also saw away victories for both Cheltenham and Fleetwood. 7th met 5th at Roots Hall where Southend hosted Cheltenham, but at the end of this one, the Rubies returned to 3rd while the Shrimpers had to settle for a place outside of the playoffs. When Alex Woodyard brought down Russell Penn in the opening 15 minutes it was up to Marlon Pack to put away the resulting spot kick – which he duly did. Cheltenham’s lead was doubled before the half time whistle when Paul Benson capitalised on a mistake between the seasiders’ defence and goalkeeper to record his first goal since arriving on loan from Swindon. Ben Reeves’ 10-yard effort in time added on proved no more than a consolation for the home side.
Meanwhile, Fleetwood’s win sees them continue their unbeaten run and move up to 4th. The Cod Army found themselves two goals to the good at the Kassam: Ryan Crowther’s smart finish before the half hour mark was followed by Junior Brown’s second half header. Liam Davis reduced the deficit for Oxford with his 20-yard effort, but his strike left it too late to get anything from the game. The Us remain 15th.
Gillingham missed out on the opportunity to regain top spot, but a draw at York saw the gap between them and Port Vale cut to a single point. Their game remained goalless.
While Friday night sees Exeter host Accrington, it’s Saturday afternoon action for the rest of the Football League’s basement division. The top three all play at home with Gillingham hosting Dagenham & Redbridge, Port Vale versus Morecambe and lowly Aldershot travelling to third-placed Cheltenham. The league’s bottom side AFC Wimbledon have a tricky game when cup heroes Bradford come to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment