Sunday, 6 January 2013

2012 round-up – part four

To re-cap: parts one, two and three.
Davids' debut against Northampton Town.
The month began with the news that Collins John was finally handed international clearance. It had been a long two weeks since his arrival and it would be fair to say that everyone was relishing seeing him in action. Five days later and on his debut against Plymouth Argyle, he went off injured – talk about anti-climax! After attempting to run and not do much else, he went down like a sack of spuds.
After a number of social media rumours including a tweet from a youth player saying he was seen at The Hive, three weeks later Edgar Davids signed for the Bees. The former Dutch midfielder who played for the likes of AC Milan and Barcelona would be a player/coach – sharing management duties with Mark Robson.
He then brought in one of his friends: former Ajax Academy and Dutch coach, Ulrich Landvreugd. Ulrich would be assistant coach and work alongside Kenny Brown, overseeing the under-21s.
Davids made his debut in the home win to Northampton – he played 90 minutes and made himself captain in the process!
The month ended with good news too, as young scholar Jamal Lowe penned his first professional contract. He’d made his debut as a substitute against York before making a full appearance versus Bradford.
Mark Byrne made the League Two Team of the Week – thanks to his last minute penalty against Chesterfield. Byrner put the spot-kick away, ensuring all three points in the Bees’ second win of the season.
After receiving a bye in the first round of the JPT, Barnet were knocked out in round two after a 1-0 defeat by League One club, Leyton Orient.
League – 02.10.12 – Barnet 1-2 Exeter City
League – 06.10.12 – Southend United 2-2 Barnet
JPT – 09.10.12 – Leyton Orient 1-0 Barnet
League – 13.10.12 – Barnet 1-4 Plymouth Argyle
League – 19.10.12 – Barnet 4-0 Northampton Town
League – 23.10.12 – Wycombe Wanderers 0-0 Barnet
League – 27.10.12 – Chesterfield 0-1 Barnet
Points – 8/18 ––– Goals scored – 9 ––– Goals conceded – 8 ––– League position – 24th

Players in:
Bristol Rovers were awarded an indirect
free-kick from four yards out.

A trio of signings was made. Two loanees: welcome (1) Andy Iro, a defender from Stevenage and (2) George Barker, a young striker from Brighton & Hove Albion. Welcome (3) to Melvin Holwyn. The 32-year-old Dutchman joined on non-contract terms for an initial month.
At the end of November, another of the youth players penned a professional contract. Striker George Sykes had made his debut earlier in the season.
The Bees were knocked out of the FA Cup at the first round. Oxford travelled to Underhill and ran out 2-0 victors. The Bees would be hosting the Us in the League, later in the month.
FA Cup – 03.11.12 – Barnet 0-2 Oxford United
League – 06.11.12 – Barnet 1-0 Torquay United
League – 10.11.12 – Morecambe 4-1 Barnet
League – 16.11.12 – Barnet 1-1 Accrington Stanley
League – 20.11.12 – Barnet 2-2 Oxford United
League – 24.11.12 – Cheltenham Town – 1-0 Barnet
Points – 5/15 ––– Goals scored – 5 ––– Goals conceded – 8 ––– League position – 24th

Before the year was out, it was announced that Mark Robson had left the club, just six months after he was appointed as first team coach. A statement read: “it was felt that clarification was required regarding the coaching responsibilities of the club and to this end it was agreed that Mark should leave with immediate effect”. This meant Edgar Davids would take full-responsibility for all first team matters. His first game in charge would be the following day – away to Exeter.
Players out:
Final home game of 2012 saw a 3-2 win against
Burton Albion.

Jamal Lowe and George McCluskey both joined Hayes & Yeading for a month’s loan, which would last until mid-January. Jamal already had eight appearances to his name for the Bees this season, having signed a permanent contract in October.
Krystian Pearce, the centre back on loan from Notts County returned to his parent club after his three month spell was up
Players in:
Another month and another signing. Taiwo Atieno joined the club as a free agent, having most recently been with Torquay. The 27-year-old striker arrived in time for the Gillingham game, and ended up being an unused substitute.
Barnet were knocked out of the Herts Senior Cup in the second round. They were 2-1 losers at Ware.
League – 08.12.12 – Barnet 1-1 AFC Wimbledon
League – 15.12.12 – Dagenham & Redbridge 1-0 Barnet
League – 21.12.12 – Barnet 3-2 Burton Albion
League – 26.12.12 – Gillingham 0-1 Barnet
League – 29.12.12 – Exeter City 2-2 Barnet
Points – 8/15 ––– Goals scored – 7 ––– Goals conceded – 6 ––– League position – 21st

No comments:

Post a Comment