Monday 16 April 2012

Goodbye Sanchez… Hello Allen (again!)

It’s never dull at Barnet, but I think this time, they’ve completely outdone themselves. Lawrie Sanchez has finally been relieved of his duties as Bees’ boss – most will say this decision has been left far too late, with only three games remaining. Martin Allen has been called in (for a third time) to save the team from relegation to the Conference.

It’s a decision that has definitely been split between fans – yes, he has that belief and motivation that has been lacking all season, from both players and the manager, but you have to question his loyalty and morals. He left us the last time after three matches and 18 days, despite getting two wins and draw in that time. He left us when we needed a manager like him the most, leaving for Notts County – for more money. The club then filed for compensation for leaving whilst still in contract; the belief the Magpies had poached him. There was so much drama and confusion surrounding his exit, with all fans positively hating the man. What’s changed now? Why is he back?
And it’s safe to say, Sanchez isn’t at all bitter about his sacking (taken from Sky Sports News):

“Following the termination of my contract by Barnet FC, I'd like to express my extreme disappointment at the lack of loyalty shown in me by the club. It is the same lack of loyalty the club accused Martin Allen of showing when he walked out on Barnet towards the end of last season. When I took over from Martin, the club were three points adrift of safety with just four games of the season left and under serious threat of relegation to the Conference. However, thanks to a fantastic effort from the players, staff and myself, Barnet took seven points from those last four games and avoided relegation. Now, exactly a year since my appointment, the club are three points clear of the relegation zone with three games to go. This position has been achieved despite the long term absences of first team members Danny Senda, Steve Kabba, Darren Dennehy and Mark Marshall. I certainly felt that recent performances would see the club remain clear of the threat of relegation. Unfortunately, that confidence seems not to have been mirrored in the boardroom and I am disappointed the club have lost their nerve at such a vital stage of the season. I wish the players and my staff at Barnet all the best for the remaining games this season.”

In my opinion, I’m glad to have got rid of Sanchez, although it has been left far too late. There’s been a flat atmosphere around the ground all season, despite the minor prospect of reaching Wembley in the JPT. The players seemed to lack motivation, fight, togetherness – which is exactly the reason we find ourselves in the same predicament as the last two years. There is no way he can take the credit for our survival last year, and it’s almost laughable he believes it was down to him. Martin Allen got crucial points during his stint, and then it was thanks to the legend that is, Grazioli. Allen got the fans and players going last season when he returned, and I believe the same buzz will return with three games of this campaign remaining. Before I was saying we’d be lucky to get two points from our remaining matches, now I believe we’ll get six or seven points from nine. As much as I dislike him for his previous two departures, he’s the man to keep us up.

Beelieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment