Saturday, 25 February 2012

Match Report: Barnet 1–2 Shrewsbury Town (Barnet Fan’s Perspective)

The 2012 unbeaten run came to an end last weekend as the Bees lost to the Shrews at Underhill, 2-1. It won’t be a game to be remembered though, with some awful playing conditions which didn’t help in any way.
The away side proved why they are hopefuls for promotion, sitting pretty in the play-offs, attacking from the off with shots raining in on Dean Brill’s goal; Jon Taylor and James Collins going closest. It took a while for the Bees to get into the game, with Shrewsbury’s dominance, controlling possession and looking a threat; with Izale McLeod in the side, attacking chances were likely to arrive. Jordan Obita, on-loan from Reading was a particular highlight: tricks and pace down the wing and a number of beautiful deliveries into the box, unfortunately to no avail.

And it was Shrewsbury that were to go ahead, before half time, after some continuous pressure. McAllister was the man fouled, and a free kick whipped in from the right hand side by Matt Richards evaded all Town’s players and off the head of Clovis Kamdjo for an own goal. Kamdjo could have so easily been the hero just minutes earlier, a free header from a corner – the closest the Bees had gone all half.

Whatever Sanchez said at half time obviously worked as with little over a minute of the second period on the clock, top scorer, Izale McLeod netted – an assist from Ricky Holmes after his attempted shot was blocked by the Shrews’ defender.
With that you’d think the home side would be in the ascendancy and continue to press, given such a quick equaliser. However it was Shrewsbury that largely controlled the second half. In stark contrast, the Bees barely turned up – whether that was because of the conditions is yet to be seen, although at half time there was a torrential downpour. Possibly the worst conditions I’ve ever seen at a football match, you had to feel particularly sorry for the handful of fans standing on the uncovered North Terrace behind the goal, many of which, didn’t have umbrellas!

The winner came on 75 minutes – James Collins with the Shrews’ second goal: a cross steered past Brill after some brilliant build-up play. With little time remaining on the clock, Salop continued to keep hold of the ball and although McLeod could have easily got his, and the Bees’ second goal of the game with an overhead kick, it lacked any real power and went wide. Shrewsbury were good money for the victory though, and tried to keep the ball as far away from their own half as much as they could.

A game of two halves I suppose you could say, but Barnet could have no real complaints about being the losing side.

 Attendance: 2,046 (away: 457)

Starting line-ups:
Barnet – Brill; Hajrovic, Dennehy, Downing, Saville; Deering, Hughes, Kamdjo, Obita; Holmes, McLeod

Shrewsbury Town – Neal; Grandison, Jacobson, Sharps, Regan; Wright, Taylor, McAllister, Richards; Collins, Gornell

No comments:

Post a comment